Eligibility & Requirements
Statement of Intent and C.V.
A Statement of Intent describes your reason for pursuing a Certificate of Completion with the Art Students League. You are encouraged to include information about yourself, your objectives, and your interests that may not be immediately apparent from a review of your portfolio and application.
Online artwork submission of 10 jpeg images is required. It is advised that applicants select work relevant to their chosen area of concentration.
- An official transcript is required to show your previous studies in the fine arts.
- A degree or diploma is not necessary. Official Transcripts from the Art Students League are accepted.
- Applicants to the two-year Certificate Program must demonstrate a minimum of 2 academic school year’s study from a post-secondary Fine Arts Program.
- Applicants to the four-year Certificate Program must demonstrate previous fine arts study from studio classes in drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking or mixed media.
A non-refundable application fee of $50 is required.
International Student Language Proficiency
If you are an international student, a good working knowledge of English is required.
- $275 Certificate Student fee every Semester
- $275 International Student fee every Semester
(Note: Fees are subject to change without prior notice)
Applying to the Certificate Program
Fall 2022 Online Application Deadlines:
- International students seeking I-20 application are advised to submit application by July 10, 2022
- 2-Year and 4-Year Domestic (non-F-1) Certificate candidates may submit application through August 14, 2022
Fall 2022 Semester Begins September 6, 2022
Aspiring Artist Program:
The Aspiring Artist Scholarship program is a comprehensive professional-level oil painting program taught by a master artist for promising young artists still attending high school. Applicants who are accepted should make a full commitment in attending the program weekly for 8 months.
PROGRAM DATES: October 16, 2022 - May 21, 2023 Sundays from 1:00-4:45 pm
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT APPLICATION: Saturday, October 1, 2022
NO FEES: Tuition is free and art supplies are included.
ELIGIBILITY: Open to junior and senior high school visual artists working in drawing or painting.
You will need to have the following information ready to complete this application:
•Statement of Artistic Intent (no more than 150 words)
•5 JPG images of your artwork The original pieces need to be handcrafted. Photographs and pieces done using digital software (Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch or Procreate) will not be accepted.
Application Deadline: September 11, 2022
1) Artist Statement
2) Resumé of art-related activities
3) Proposal for Public Sculpture
(To be fabricated and installed in Riverside Park at 145th Street)
Twenty (20) images of original artwork, proposal maquette, and ideation materials
Selection: September 26, 2022
Program Start: October 3, 2022
Dates subject to change.
To download a PDF of the program summary, please click here.
For questions about the program or the application process, please contact Tom Tacik, Associate Director/PDSO, Certificate and Special Programs, by email: email@example.com