Fire and Ice: Open Call for One Brooklyn Bridge Park
Curated by Alexandra Rutsch Brock
October 6 – December 19
Deadline to Apply: Monday, July 26 12 noon
Prompt: Fire and Ice:
For Fire and Ice, we are asking artists to reflect on the many ways we react to the hibernal season. Will you curl up by the hearth? Or stretch out on a snowbank? Do you crave the icy blues of winter, or the fire-y reds of fall? You may even consider the medium you work with: are you frosting canvases with highlights of lead white oil paint, etching on copper, drawing with silverpoint, or perhaps a welding or sculpting works to be quite literally forged in fire?
As the seasons change, some fill their souls with the warm light of good cheer, while others find wonder exploring the darker, quieter world. We are looking for artists who are inspired by colder weather’s magic, its mystery, or both.
All eligible submissions will be considered for the group exhibition Fire and Ice at One Brooklyn Bridge Park. Fire and Ice will run from Wednesday, October 6 2021 – Sunday, December 19 2021. Selected artists will be contacted by Tuesday, August 24 and will be provided with a schedule of dates to drop off at the exhibition site.
Due to a high volume of artwork submissions, only selected artists will be contacted.
Fire and Ice will close to the public on 12/19/21, however, selected works will remain on view through the street-front windows through Monday, January 3, 2022. All Artworks must be picked up between January 3 - January 5, 2022. Please save this scheduling information for your reference.
Please be sure you are eligible for this opportunity before submitting your application
- Application is open to current League students who have been registered for a class or workshop within 6 months of the application deadline.
- Artists may submit work in any combination of media taught at The League: drawing, painting, printmaking, sculpture, and mixed media. **photography, film or digital, can only be considered as part of mixed media artworks
- Selected artists may exhibit their work in up to three (3) Exhibition Outreach shows per calendar year. If you have already exhibited your work in three Exhibition Outreach shows in the year, we thank you again for participating, and strongly encourage you to apply for Open Calls outside The League! NYFA.org is a great place to start.
Please carefully review all requirements and instructions prior to submitting your application.
- Sculptures must have a footprint not exceeding 25” x 45” OR must be floor standing. Maximum weight for sculptures is 30lb. **sculpture stands will be made available as needed for accepted sculptural works; if your sculpture includes a stand, please include stand in the image you submit.
- All works are limited to a maximum height of 5ft.
- All selected works must be ready to hang as follows:
- Proper hanging wires securely affixed in back (d-rings, etc.)
- All works on paper must be framed - work must be framed no later than September 14
- All framed works must use plexiglass only (no glass)
- Artists must be able to deliver and pick up their work at the location, One Brooklyn Bridge Park, or be prepared to have someone deliver and pick up on their behalf.
- There will be a 30% administrative fee on available works sold. Sales tax will be paid through The Art Students League of New York. Students are responsible for assessing if their work is eligible for sale, and all prices are final at the time of application. International students must follow regulations for income.
*Please note that Brooklyn Bridge Park is a residential neighborhood with many parents and children as visitors: only family-friendly works will be considered. We encourage artists to think about submitting work geared towards an audience of children! (not required).
Image Requirements: You will submit your artworks by uploading .JPG images of each artwork into your application. Please make note of the following:
- Submit up to five (5) works - recent work strongly encouraged (not required)
- Maximum size in any direction: 1200 pixels.
- Images must be in .JPG format, preferably at 300 dpi.
- Image files must be labeled using the following format only:
Last Name, First Name, Title.jpg Example: Brown, Jess, Fire.jpg
The Deadline to apply is Monday, July 26, 12 noon
*Please note that due to a large volume of applications, we are not able to accept late submissions, and are not able to consider submissions that are sent via email. All artists must apply using this Submittable form, and applications are limited to one per person. Submitting more than one application may result in disqualification.
For any questions about this exhibition and the Exhibition Outreach Program, please contact Allison Green at email@example.com.